SEPTA Regional Rail Service Resumes After Obama Intervenes - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

SEPTA Regional Rail Service Resumes After Obama Intervenes

Posted: Updated:
PHILADELPHIA -

Regional Rail riders are breathing a huge sigh of relief after an executive order from President Obama required union workers to be back on the job.

That effectively hit the brakes on a strike that lasted 24 hours.

Regional Rail started running again Sunday morning and will be on schedule for Monday's commute to work.

While this move ordered by the president is more of a band-aid, riders won’t suffer while things get ironed out.

“I think it’s the right thing to do, because it gives them some more time to hopefully negotiate," US Representative Bob Brady (D) said.

Brady applauds the move by President Barack Obama to create a Presidential Emergency Board comprised of three people experienced in labor disputes to help mediate contract stalemates between SEPTA and BLET and IBEW Local 98.

“It’s almost like going to arbitration because they’re completely independent and they can now look at the books and be able to go to SEPTA and say we think you’re wrong or they can go to the unions and say we think you’re wrong, here’s what we think is right and then they got to make that decision," Brady said.

Governor Tom Corbett asked the president for help, less than 24 hours after regional rail workers walked off the job Saturday morning.

A spokesperson for SEPTA issued this statement regarding the move by President Obama.

“We are pleased for our riders based on the fact that workers are back on the job and the regional rail service has been restored.”

The vice president of BLET said they agreed to binding arbitration six weeks ago and that yesterday’s shutdown could have been avoided all together.

An IBEW general chairman also blamed the one day work stoppage on negotiating tactics by SEPTA and Governor Corbett.

The unions have been working without contracts for years because of sticking points in back pay and pensions.

"I actually talked to some of the conductors and I feel kind of bad for them because they’re working without a contract and it seems like an awfully long time that they can’t seem to resolve that, and I don’t quite understand that," SEPTA rider Diane Coffey said.

Riders hope the president appointed board will help fix that.

“I hope it ends with everyone being happy. Everyone coming to the table sitting down and making a deal, and everyone is happy," SEPTA rider Starr Swint said.

The Presidential Emergency Board will meet for hearings scheduled the week of June 23rd, then issue a recommendation to President Obama by July 14th.

The board expires in 240 days, meaning if things aren’t worked out by mid February, we could have another strike.

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Dick's Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros

    Dick's Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros

    The western Pennsylvania-based Dick's Sporting Goods chain has laid off 478 Professional Golfers' Association teaching pros months after the company reported that sales of golf gear are dwindling.
    The western Pennsylvania-based Dick's Sporting Goods chain has laid off 478 Professional Golfers' Association teaching pros months after the company reported that sales of golf gear are dwindling.
  • EU regulator: Morning-after pill OK for all women

    EU regulator: Morning-after pill OK for all women

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:51 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:51:47 GMT
    The European Medicines Agency says a commonly used morning-after pill is suitable for use by heavier women after reviewing the evidence, sparked by a French pharmaceutical company's declaration last year that the drugs didn't work in women weighing more than 80 kilograms (176 pounds).
    The European Medicines Agency says a commonly used morning-after pill is suitable for use by heavier women after reviewing the evidence, sparked by a French pharmaceutical company's declaration last year that the drugs didn't work in women weighing more than 80 kilograms (176 pounds).
  • US unemployment aid applications drop to 284,000

    US unemployment aid applications drop to 284,000

    Thursday, July 24 2014 8:49 AM EDT2014-07-24 12:49:57 GMT
    The Labor Department says weekly applications for unemployment aid dropped 19,000 to a seasonally adjusted 284,000.
    The Labor Department says weekly applications for unemployment aid dropped 19,000 to a seasonally adjusted 284,000.
Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices