A fire at an apartment complex in North Austin has left one person dead and several residents displaced Monday morning.
At about 2:45 a.m., authorities received a call reporting a fire on the second floor of the Quail Run Apartments in the 1200 block of Mearns Meadow Blvd. When firefighters arrived, they discovered the fire was actually in a first-floor unit of the complex. Inside the apartment, they found a man in his mid-30's unconscious.
Firefighters pulled the man outside and attempted unsuccessfully to conduct CPR on the man for about 25 minutes. He was pronounced dead on the scene.
AFD says the fire started in the kitchen area of the unit, and that it was a smoldering fire rather than a flaming fire.
16 apartment units at the complex were evacuated, leaving approximately 30 residents homeless. Six units sustained damage from smoke, fire and water. Fire officials say the fire caused about $100,000 worth of damage.
Authorities say they do not expect foul play in the fire. They will continue their investigation into exactly how it started.
Family members tell us the man who died in that fire is 41-year-old Eric Williams. He is a member of the Visually Impaired Community. The family is accepting donations for his funeral services through Chase Bank. They can be made to Betty Jean Williams for Eric Williams acct #443860650.