Hunter had been part of the McLarty family for almost three weeks when he became their hero.
The three-month-old husky mix wouldn't stop whining in the middle of the night last week.
His adoptive mom, Jill McLarty, thought he needed to go outside and let him out. She says he just sat by the door, so she let him in and took him back to bed.
He continued whining, and when Jill asked him what he wanted, she says Hunter leaped off the bed and started running in circles in the hallway. Jill followed the dog to the kitchen. She turned the light on and saw him sitting next to the stove.
That's when Jill noticed one of the gas burners was on low, without a flame, causing gas to leak into the house. The gas had been leaking since the family had eaten dinner six hours earlier.
They say after the burner was turned off Hunter went to sleep almost immediately.
Most of the family members say they had colds so they weren't able to smell the leaking gas.
The Grosse Pointe Woods family says Hunter has been a "perfect fit" for them, even before he saved their lives.