Selina Jantz has a keen sense of smell.
Early Saturday morning it was the smell of smoke that actually woke her up. So she woke her husband.
"So we went outside, I went to the front of the building, he went to the back of the building and he said 'oh my gosh call 911, there's smoke billowing out of the neighbor's chimney,'" Jantz said.
So she called 911.
"They told me to wake my kids, get them out of the apartment quickly, pull the alarm outside to alert everybody else. So we pulled the alarm and knocked on everybody's door and the fire department was here within 5 minutes," she said.
Captain Marc Saenz with the Austin Fire Department says when they got there they couldn't see anything from the outside but found the apartment in question filled with smoke.
"Smoke alarms going off inside. They forced entry. Found a fire in the kitchen, put the fire out...but during the search, they found an occupant, pulled him out of the fire," Saenz said.
Firefighters found the man in one of the bedrooms...along with a dog that didn't make it.
After performing CPR the man, who EMS says was in his 30's...was taken to Brackenridge where he later died from smoke inhalation according to Saenz.
Captain Saenz says the fire appeared to be the result of something left on the stove.
"Anything that's lit, don't leave it unattended. That includes cooking," Saenz said.
The fire department says the dollar amount on damage totals out to be $20-grand.
Of course the smoke alarms were going off this time but many still either don't have them or they're disconnected.
The fire department says if you need one, they'll get you one.