Co-workers testify in Joe Carr trial - | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Co-workers testify in Joe Carr trial

Posted: Updated:

During the second full day of testimony jurors heard from Joe Carr's former co-workers about his behavior and what he was like at work in the days leading up to the discovery of Veronica Navarro's body.

Carr, 29, is on trial for Navarro's murder and for tampering with evidence.

"He's usually pretty energetic and gung-ho around the station and ready to do stuff during the day," said Pedernales Fire Department Battalion Chief Bruce Perkins

"He's usually really on top of things with his calls," said Lt. Jared Mikeksa with the PFD.

That's how firefighters describe Carr on a normal day but not on June 28th. Mikeska told the court Carr seemed distracted. Carr asked Perkins to leave early because he wasn't feeling well.

He skipped his next shift on July 1st. Carr had made a last minute vacation request but it wasn't approved.

He came back to work on July 4th. "When he came back I met with Joe and told him that's not the way we conduct business," said Perkins. Perkins placed a written reprimand in Carr's personnel file. Despite that, Perkins said Carr seemed to be back to his normal self.

"The reason he told me (he wasn't at work) was he broke up with his girlfriend and he was afraid to leave his place because he thought she would tear his stuff up," said Perkins.

Carr picked up an extra shift. He would work from 9 a.m. on July 4th to 9 a.m. on July 6th. Not long after he wrapped up his 48 hours his co-workers responded to a call about a body in Lake Travis. Investigators would later identify the body as Navarro. They soon learned about her relationship with Carr and testified that Carr was nowhere to be found.

Investigators say he had packed his belongings and took off. They received a tip from PFD Lt. Stormy Davis who got a phone call from the Canadian border authorities asking for work verification for Carr.

Navarro's family was upset during the testimony from the deputy chief medical examiner. Navarro died by asphyxiation meaning she stopped breathing. According to the report there were no clear signs of injuries before her death. Her body was decomposing. Given the circumstances her death was ruled a homicide.

The defense argues that the state doesn't have the evidence to prove Carr killed Navarro.

The state plans to cell phone experts to the stand Thursday.

Carr has pleaded not guilty.

Powered by WorldNow

119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices