A Detroit family trying to keep warm land in the hospital with c - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

A Detroit family trying to keep warm land in the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning

Posted: Updated:
(WJBK) -

A Detroit family trying to keep warm make a dangerous mistake.

A 25-year-old mother, her 9-year-old son, and the mother's girlfriend were poisoned with carbon monoxide at a home on Barlow in Detroit.

Detroit fire found a gas-operated generator in the home, which had been running for a couple of hours.

Recognizing something was wrong, the boy's mother called 911 and all three were taken to St. John Hospital.

The mother has been released, but her son and girlfriend remain hospitalized. Doctors are monitoring their oxygen levels, but they are expected to be okay.

"They're fine. By the grace of God, they're fine," says the boy's mother.

"The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are vomiting, headaches and flu-like symptoms," says capt. Chris Dixon, Detroit fire. "If you feel any of these symptoms get medical help immediately. Open windows to get fresh air into your system."

DTE tells FOX 2 there is evidence of theft by a previous tenant of both natural and electric gas. Because of the thefts, DTE cut off both the natural and electric gas to the home.

The gas service was installed Wednesday morning. But since the electric service lines to the home were cut at the top of a power pole, it will take a special crew to run new lines from the pole to the house. This process is more time consuming than installing standard electric lines to a residence.

DTE says electric service could be back on as early as Thursday.

  • Download the FOX 2 Apps

  • FOX 2 News Five-Day Forecast
Powered by WorldNow

119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices