Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities

Teen With Special Needs Inspires Kids With Disabilities

Posted: Updated:

Sidney Snow's journey hasn't been easy but as FOX 29's Karen Hepp shows you in the face of adversity Sidney makes others smile.

Sidney Snow barely survived her birth, a delivery so traumatic it deserves the term devastating.

For the bright and loving little girl there would be consequences. First came a diagnosis of cerebral palsy. Later, hearing loss both profound and progressive. Challenges her Mom Ali Snow knew would set her daughter apart for a lifetime.

"My biggest prayer was let her be able to read because I don't care if she's in a wheel chair, but if that child can read. She can do a world of things," Ali said.

Seems the Good Lord was listening. Now 15, Sidney Snow is an insatiable reader who found in the flow of words and ideas insulation from the hardships headed her way.

"You just take on a different perspective and that can help you take on life a different way," Sidney said.

From that perspective has come resilience - toughness in the face of cruelty. The constant muscle contractions associated with cerebral palsy altered Sidney's movement.

The hearing loss affects her speech. Over the years, neither has gone unnoticed by classmates.

"I know I am not any of those things that they are saying about me. I just try to be the bigger person," Sidney said.

Not just in words, but deeds. Within her high school Sidney seeks out those whose shoes she's walked in - kids with disabilities even greater than her own.

"I just walk in there and I might have had a bad morning and I see the smiles on their faces and it's just wow everything is just so superficial right now there's so much more in life," Sidney said.

"I look at those kids and they have much less than I do and I look at myself and go wow I am so blessed I can walk I can talk and I can express my feelings to others," Sidney said.

Her Mom calls it compassion born of suffering that quietly continues nearly halfway through her sophomore year. You see, when Sidney goes to class, this is what she hears.

"It's like Charlie Brown talk wah-wah -wah and every now and then you hear something that you might understand," Sidney said.

Sidney is forced to compensate by reading lips - an imperfect and utterly exhausting process.

"I come home with headaches, migraine headaches," Sidney said. "I've never been one for curing cerebral palsy or deafness because that's made me who I am so I don't want to get rid of it."

Despite it all, Sidney Snow makes mostly A's and she takes pleasure in the companionship of a Horse named Tommy - a rare teen whose drawn power from what most perceive as weakness.

Comfortable in her own skin, secure in her faith. Call it strength. Sidney's strength.

• Spotlight StoriesMore>>

Angry Father Uploads Video Showing TSA Patting Down Little Children

Angry Father Uploads Video Showing TSA Patting Down Little Children

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:37 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:37:51 GMT
    In a video that is quickly going viral, a shocked father recorded TSA agents giving his young children full-body pat-downs.

Hot Air Balloon Makes Unexpected Landing

Hot Air Balloon Makes Unexpected Landing

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:12 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:12:55 GMT
    A hot air balloon makes an unexpected landing on a bridge in Rancho Bernardo, California. A hot air balloon makes an unexpected landing on a bridge in Rancho Bernardo, California.
    A hot air balloon makes an unexpected landing on a bridge in Rancho Bernardo, California.The balloon, which is owned by Skysurfer Balloon Company, had eight people on board plus the pilot.

NYPD Twitter hashtag backfires

Wednesday, April 23 2014 9:07 AM EDT2014-04-23 13:07:39 GMT
    A NYPD plan intended to better connect with the community seems to have backfired a bit. The police department asked its twitter followers to share pictures of themselves with New York City police officers using the hashtag "myNYPD."
  • Local NewsMore>>

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Tip Leads To Marijuana Bust Inside Havertown Residence

Wednesday, April 23 2014 1:05 PM EDT2014-04-23 17:05:50 GMT
    Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.
    Haverford Police have arrested a local doctor and his daughter accused of growing and distributing marijuana inside their home.Investigators arrived at the home of Dr. Paul Ezell,58 on the 200 block of Sagamore Road after the police department received an anonymous tip stating “…it has come to my attention that Dr. Ezell is growing marijuana at his residence and selling it to his patients and other individuals. Since he is a doctor and places himself in a position of trust, I though you shoul...

Man Uses 10 Fake Names, Steals $360K In Welfare, Gets 30 Months

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:39 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:39:30 GMT
    A Philadelphia man who pleaded guilty to using multiple names and addresses to steal almost $360,000 in welfare benefits has been sentenced to serve less than three years in jail, authorities said Wednesday.
  • muhlenberg-motel-fire

Firefighters Battling Blaze In Muhlenberg Motel

Firefighters Battling Blaze In Muhlenberg Motel

Wednesday, April 23 2014 12:10 PM EDT2014-04-23 16:10:34 GMT
    Firefighters are battling flames and stiff winds at the scene of a multi-alarm motel fire in Berks County.
Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices