Fire damages southwest Austin home - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Fire damages southwest Austin home

Posted: Updated:

Two people were displaced due to a house fire in southwest Austin.

The fire started in the garage of the home Tuesday morning. Austin Fire officials say the residents put a log that had fallen out of their fireplace in their garage, thinking they had put it out. But the embers ended up starting the fire.

"Make sure that those materials are moved outside that they're kept in some kind of metal container with a lid and moved outside of the house that's what we always like to relay that message because unfortunately this is a common cause with improperly discarded fireplace ashes or BBQ ashes," said AFD Batt. Chief Thayer Smith said.

AFD says the fire caused about $75,000 in damages.

Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices