Has the dog ever eaten your homework? One California puppy swallowed something that takes "The dog ate my…." to a whole new level. He ate a large diamond earring belonging to the woman who would become his owner, and then he found himself in the operating room.
Claire Hutchinson took her dog Charlie to be groomed at a local pet store. While she was there, she saw puppies—including Bailey. She started playing with him, and began jumping toward her face from her lap. She says finally, he put his teeth around one of her diamond earrings and pulled it right out of her ear.
But then, Bailey swallowed it. Claire didn't own Bailey then, but a few days later, she went back and purchased him. They waited a few days, but he didn't pass the earring naturally. He started to spit up blood, and that's when she says she took him to the doctor, who told her the earring had started to embed itself and needed to come out.
Bailey isn't alone. Vets see dogs and cats that have swallowed strange objects at least once a month. Some are repeat offenders, and puppies are often the patients because they explore with their mouths.
Surgery can cost around $2,000. For Claire, the way Bailey joined their family wasn't cheap, but she says she has no regrets about the wonderful new addition.
The website petmd.com says keep an eye on your pets, and if you're worried they have swallowed something sharp or toxic, see a vet right away. The same holds true if your pet seems to be choking or having trouble breathing.