Three businesses at a northwest Austin shopping center were damaged by an overnight fire last night.
According to authorities, shortly before midnight, a fire broke out at the Nan King restaurant at the Plaza 183 shopping. When firefighters arrived at the scene, flames were coming from the roof of the restaurant.
About 40 firefighters responded to the blaze and were able to contain it to the restaurant. AFD believes that the fire was sparked by old grease and that is was entirely preventable.
"The best thing you can have is a working smoke alarm to give you that warning that you have a problem," said Palmer Buck, AFD Battalion Chief.
Two businesses next to the restaurant sustained smoke damage. Fire crews will remain on the scene to clean up and help the two businesses get back up and running.
This week is fire prevention week.