Hazmat crews were on the scene of a chemical explosion in Scottsdale where one person was seriously burned.After a chemical explosion set off, a hazmat team was called to clear the house. The man behind the explosion was badly injured. "He came out and he said. 'Mom I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry. I'm bleeding," said Nancy, the injured man's mother. She only wanted her first name published. It sound like the making of some illegal activity, but the family insists it's not. "No meth lab, no," said Nancy. The mother of the man behind the explosion says her son was just cooking up a chemical mixture for fireworks and that it's legal. "There was no foul play, no arrest, no handcuffs, nothing like that," said Nancy. The mother says her 27-year-old son has been making fire works for several years. "These were just those little poppers that you throw on the ground. It was the material that makes the noise that became unstable," said Nancy. The son is in the hospital with burns and an arm injury. It's a dangerous hobby, one his mother says he won't be doing in her house anymore. "We are just waiting for him to be in recovery and once he ends up there, he should be good as new soon," said Nancy.
Phoenix Police Department says they are not pressing any charges against the young man at this time. He is still in the hospital, but does not face any life threatening injuries.
KTBC FOX 7119 East 10th StreetAustin, TX 78701Phone: (512) 476-7777Fax: (512) 495-7001