Students hospitalized after getting high on cold medicine

Students hospitalized after getting high on cold medicine

Posted: Updated:
SAN TAN VALLEY, Ariz. -

Three Poston Butte High School students were hospitalized Tuesday after ingesting "Triple C."

Triple C is over-the-counter, readily available cough syrup. They suffered a variety of side effects after ingesting the cold medicine.

After going to the nurse, paramedics were called and the children were transported to Banner Ironwood Medical Center.

"One of the students took a few different medications, and I believe the two additional students only took the one medication," said Rural Metro spokesman Colin Williams.

Officials say their consumption was significant, but not life-threatening.

Through the combination of ingredients, the teens could've suffered seizures, nervous system issues, nausea, vomiting, and cardiac arrest.

One of the students reportedly took at least 9 pills of what kids call "Triple C" or "Red Devils."

"If you take a significant and unauthorized dose of that, you can hallucinate, you have a rapid pulse, it actually affects your body's temperature. So if you were to take this and find yourself in a position of exerting a lot of energy -- lets say you're at a dance or rave -- your body temperature can go extremely high," added Williams.

It's not clear if the kids consumed the medication before school or during. All of them lived at the same group home.

Poston Butte High School has a strict drug-free policy. They could face disciplinary action.

They're expected to make a full recovery.

FOX 10's Anita Roman reports.

Didn't find what
you were looking for?

Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices