Bella Tommey stopped by Good Day Austin to share a recipe for healthy donuts made not with sugar but agave.
Ingredients (Makes 8):
1 1/4 cup gluten free all purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon raw, ground cinnamon
1/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup agave nectar
3 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
For the topping:
Vanilla Frosting (1 small banana, coconut butter, cinnamon and agave nectar )
Chocolate Frosting (Cacao powder, coconut oil and agave nectar)
Chopped, raw pecans or cacao nibs for topping!
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare 2-3 donut pans by coating in coconut oil and dusting with gluten-free all purpose flour to prevent sticking.
2. In a food processor, combine the almond meal, applesauce, almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon, oil, agave, baking powder and salt until it forms a thick batter.
3. Fill the donut holes half way and bake for 13-15 minutes until a fork comes out clean.
4. Allow the donuts to cool on a wire rack.
5. After cooled, coat the donuts in either the vanilla or chocolate frosting and sprinkle on desired topping. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Makes 12):
1 jar all natural almond butter
2 fresh, organic eggs
1 ¼ cups pure agave nectar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
½ cup raw cacao powder
½ teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raw cacao nibs
Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
In a food processor, blend almond butter until it is a smooth texture.
Blend in eggs until smooth and then add in agave and vanilla.
Following this, add in cacao powder, salt and baking soda and keep the food processor on until a smooth batter has formed.
Stop the blender and fold in cacao nibs to the mixture.
Remove the mixture from the blender and pour into the previously prepared baking pan. Then bake for 25-30 minutes in the oven.
Remove brownies from the oven and leave to cool for a good half an hour (they may still appear slightly soft inside but cooling them will enable them to harden to desired texture).
After fully cooled, cut the brownies into squares and enjoy! Serve with guilt-free ice cream for a super delicious treat.