A malfunctioning window a/c unit has displaced a family of four in south Austin after their home caught fire. It also took the lives of two pets.
Investigators believe the fire started in the attic of the home in the 2,000 block of Desco drive. When firefighters arrived just after 1:00 p.m., Sunday, heavy smoke was coming from the attic and back of the home.
Firefighters tried to fight the blaze from the outside when part of the home collapsed. No one was injured, but a cat and dog were killed.
The fire has been ruled accidental. No one was home when it started.