On November 5, 2009, now retired Army Sgt. Howard Ray was on post at Fort Hood when the shooting rampage happened.
"I was directly engaged and shot at by the shooter," Ray told FOX 7. That day, Ray helped save several lives and says it has been a long road to justice. Saturday morning, he spoke about Major Nidal Hasan being convicted on all 13 counts of premeditated murder and 32 counts of attempted premeditated murder. "When I first heard about it, I just realized it had been four long years in the making and in the waiting."
Ray is grateful the military jury came to a unanimous decision. Now that Hasan has been convicted, he will be sentenced to death or live in prison. But, Ray says the case won't end there. "What's important for me, as a third part, is that there is government accountability for what happened here. And for the survivors and victims of this crime, that's probably most important above all else."
Ray, along with attorney Neal Shur who represents some of the victims' families and survivors, strongly believe the Fort Hood shooting massacre should be classified as an act of terrorism and not work place violence. "The biggest hurdle all along has been the fact that the Army refuses to acknowledge the absolute and clear truth that this was an attack by a radicalized, Muslim on American soil, wearing a military uniform against his brother and sister service people," Shur tells FOX 7. "This case is not just about convicting this admitted mass murderer, it's about his victims."
The sentencing phase is set to begin Monday at Fort Hood.