Bing: TARP money could be used to demolish abandoned homes - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Bing: TARP money could be used to demolish abandoned homes

Posted: Updated:
DETROIT (WJBK) -

Some $100 million in federal funds could soon be flowing into the state to demolish vacant homes and Mayor Dave Bing says he hopes a large portion of that money will be funneled to fight blight in Detroit.

"I'm going to schedule another meeting going down to DC to talk to the secretary. He's been very supportive of Detroit and of this administration. So I'm hopeful that we can get some determination on when that money may actually come do as soon as I have a trip down there," Bing said.

The money was previously allocated for mortgage relief as part of the Troubled Asset Relief Program or (TARP) which launched in 2010 to help unemployed homeowners stay in their houses and help families with underwater mortgages.

Only 19 percent of the state's allotted $500 million in (TARP) aid was spent on mortgage modification. The Michigan State Housing Development Authority applied to the U.S. Department of Treasury to direct $100 million of  the unused funds for the demolition work and there
 are now plans to knock down vacant homes in Pontiac, Flint, Grand Rapids, Saginaw and Detroit.

"I suggested that we were going to try to tear down about 10,000 through this term. We're at about 7,200, I've got a plan in place through the end of August that will get us to about 9,000. Additional money will help us exceed 10,000 and then we can be very strategic and focus on areas that are in most disrepair" Bing said.

The U.S. Census Bureau estimated in 2010 there are 40,597 vacant residential units in Detroit and the federal funding is welcomed news to Motor City Blight Busters founder John George. "We've been working with the Blight Authority over the last 6 months to hammer out a plan that makes sense to make sure that the dollars are managed properly. Communication is truly king, between the mayor's office, the governor's office, the blight authority, blight busters and others including community groups that are going to feel the effects of these dollars," George said.
 
According to published reports, wrecking crews could start as soon as this summer working on houses deemed a public nuisance in some of the state's most blight-stricken cities.

  • Local NewsLocal NewsMore>>

  • Benefit for injured Grosse Pointe Park Police officer

    Benefit for injured Grosse Pointe Park Police officer

    Friday, July 25 2014 12:18 PM EDT2014-07-25 16:18:15 GMT
    48-year-old Keith Andersen retired in February from the Grosse Pointe Park Police Department. On June 21, he was involved in a roll over accident where he suffered a broken neck. As of now Keith has no movement in his the lower half of his body. The Fraternal Order of Police, Grosse Pointe Lodge 102 is holding a fundraiser for Keith on Aug 5th. Amy Lange will have a full report on Fox 2 News at 5:00 p.m.
    48-year-old Keith Andersen retired in February from the Grosse Pointe Park Police Department. On June 21, he was involved in a roll over accident where he suffered a broken neck. As of now Keith has no movement in his the lower half of his body. The Fraternal Order of Police, Grosse Pointe Lodge 102 is holding a fundraiser for Keith on Aug 5th. Amy Lange will have a full report on Fox 2 News at 5:00 p.m.
  • Teenager's body discovered in wooded area in Armada

    Teenager's body discovered in wooded area in Armada

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:37 AM EDT2014-07-25 14:37:19 GMT
    Police in Armad Township tell Fox 2's Roop Raj that the body of a 14-year-old female teen has been found in a wooded area near a recreational trail in the Macomb County village of Armada.
    Police in Armad Township tell Fox 2's Roop Raj that the body of a 14-year-old female teen has been found in a wooded area near a recreational trail in the Macomb County village of Armada.
  • Judge rules Warren Evans can stay on the ballot

    Judge rules Warren Evans can stay on the ballot

    Friday, July 25 2014 10:16 AM EDT2014-07-25 14:16:52 GMT
    A judge ruled Friday, Warren Evans will stay on the August primary ballot for Wayne County Executive.
    A judge ruled Friday, Warren Evans will stay on the August primary ballot for Wayne County Executive.
Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices