Ruling in Etan Patz case | suspect Pedro Hernandez - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Etan Patz case to proceed, judge rules

Posted: Updated:

By JENNIFER PELTZ | AP

NEW YORK (AP) -- A judge has declined to throw out a murder case against a man charged decades after an infamous 1979 child disappearance in New York City.

The ruling came Wednesday in the case against Pedro Hernandez of Maple Shade, N.J.

He was charged last year with killing 6-year-old Etan Patz. Etan was last seen walking to his school bus stop in Manhattan.

Etan became one of the first vanished children to be pictured on a milk carton.

Hernandez's attorney asked a judge to dismiss the case. The lawyer, Harvey Fishbein, says Hernandez is mentally ill and his confession to investigators was false.

The Manhattan district attorney's office said there was enough evidence to sustain the charges. Prosecutors say they don't believe Hernandez's confession is the product of mental illness.

  • Manhattan NewsManhattan NewsMore>>

  • Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Baldwin: Rather pay up than apologize over arrest

    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
    Actor Alec Baldwin is not apologizing over an incident that led to a disorderly conduct arrest in May.
  • Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Lawyers working to resolve LaBeouf's theater arrest

    Thursday, July 24 2014 12:35 PM EDT2014-07-24 16:35:07 GMT
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
    Lawyers say they are trying to resolve Shia LaBeouf's disorderly conduct case stemming from an incident at a Broadway show last month. Prosecutors and LaBeouf's lawyer told a judge Thursday that they're exploring an agreement to resolve the case. LaBeouf was arrested after he allegedly disrupted a performance of "Cabaret" starring Alan Cumming. He is due back in court Sept. 10.
  • Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Another video shows NYPD cop putting man in choke hold

    Wednesday, July 23 2014 10:08 PM EDT2014-07-24 02:08:13 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
    The NYPD is investigating another apparent choke-hold incident during a recent arrest that was captured on video. The video shows a police officer putting a man in a choke hold and then punching him in the face in a subway station in Harlem, police said. A community activist said he received the new video but never had any intention of releasing it to the media.
Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices