PRESCOTT, Ariz. (AP) - One year after three businesses on Prescott's famed Whiskey Row were destroyed by a fire, 1 of 3 has reopened and fire protection efforts have been taken in the surrounding area to protect businesses against future blazes.
The Prescott Daily Courier reports that fire-safety sprinklers and fire alarms were installed in several historic downtown buildings after the fire, bringing them up to current codes.
Workers razed the burned-out building, and a new architectural design for the site has been approved.
The fire on May 8, 2012, was caused by an appliance malfunction in a restaurant.
The 100 block of South Montezuma Street in downtown Prescott is an historic strip of saloons, restaurants and shops.
It's been called Whisky Row since before the turn of the century.