The Strand Smokehouse in Astoria, Queens serves up beer-marinated skirt steak with jalapeno relish.
Chef John Zervoulakos says the 225 seat restaurant is on Broadway and also offers a whiskey program.
Beer-marinated Skirt Steak with jalapeno relish
Ingredients for the Jalapeno Relish
Two jalapenos, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
Salt and pepper, to taste
The juice from one orange
Two pounds skirt steak
One onion, quartered
Four cloves of garlic, chopped
1 bottle of light beer (something inexpensive, such as Bud Light, will do just fine)
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. pepper
1 orange, sliced
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1. Pour the light beer into a large Ziploc bag. Add the skirt steak, garlic, orange slices and onions. Leave in the refrigerator to marinade for at least an hour, though overnight is best.
2. Pre-heat a grill to medium-high heat.
3. Remove the steak from the marinade and discard the marinade. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper.
4. Grill the steak to desired doneness - about four minutes per side for medium rare.
5. Serve with jalapeno relish