One dead in shooting at Bush Intercontinental Airport - | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

One dead in shooting at Bush Intercontinental Airport

Posted: Updated:

One person has died as the result of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at George Bush Intercontinental Airport, Houston police have confirmed.

A spokesman for the Houston Police Department initially reported that a firearm was discharged around 1:35 p.m. Thursday at Bush Intercontinental Airport.

The male with the gun had not crossed the security checkpoint and no one else was hurt in the shooting.

The shooting victim was taken to a hospital where he later died.

Minutes after the shooting, the second floor of Terminal B, where the shooting took place, was closed. No one was allowed up or down to the second floor ticketing area; the only people there were airport employees who were recovering from witnessing the incident.

A United Airlines employee, who witnessed the shooting, told FOX 26 reporter Emily Akin that only three shots were fired.

"He was sitting there with the gun, kind of like, on his lap, he lifted the gun and shot himself in the head," said the United Airlines employee. "And then, um, all the other police came around and, you know, the guy kind of just sat in the chair ... he lifted the gun up when the police also told him to drop the gun, he lifted the gun up and shot himself in the temples."

"He fired two shots in the lobby and we, and it scared us," added the United employee. "I mean we were working in the lobby and all of a sudden the gunshots go off, but at that time, we didn't know where it was coming from."

During a Houston police news conference, spokesman Kese Smith confirmed much of the United employee's account.

"Suspect entered about 1:35, got just inside of the, uh, the departure area, um, just inside the front doors, discharged a weapon one time into the ceiling," said Smith. "Homeland Security special agent heard the shot. His office is right nearby, came out, confronted the suspect, gave him verbal commands to drop his weapon. The suspect, still armed, turned toward the Special Agent. The Special Agent then discharged his weapon, fearing for his safety and that of the passengers in the terminal.At the same time it appears that the suspect may have shot himself."

"We're looking at the weapons, we're looking at information. I have investigators here. Those investigators are working with the FBI. They're working with Homeland security. We're working with the security detail here at the airport," said Capt. Dwayne Ready with the Houston Police Department homicide division.

Terminal B is closed and flights and passenger traffic have been re-routed to Terminals A and C, while the Federal Aviation Administration has ordered a ground stoppage to all traffic into Bush Airport.

Houston police will not disclose when Bush Airport Terminal B will be reopened.

Because of the nature of the investigation, authorities have not determined what bullet from which weapon stuck the suspect in the head.

Powered by WorldNow

119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices