Eight people are displaced after a house goes up in flames in south Austin overnight.
Firefighters were called out to the 22-hundred block of onion creek around 4 a.m. Saturday morning for a report of a fire. Apparently, the people inside were woken up by smoke detector alarms and immediately called 9-1-1.
Crews worked fast to put out the flames, however the house suffered heavy smoke and fire damage. Officials with the Austin fire department say this was started by an unattended barbecue pit that had hot coals still smoldering.
The house next door suffered minor damage. The total amount of damage done was around $150,000.