Boxer Robert Guerrero arrested at JFK on weapons charges - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Boxer Robert Guerrero arrested at JFK on weapons charges

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Boxing champion Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero faces four felony weapons charges after he was arrested Thursday morning at JFK Airport.

Guerrero, 30, was arrested by Port Authority Police with a .40 caliber Smith and Wesson semi-automatic handgun. He also had 3 high capacity unloaded magazines with him.

He was attempting to check-in for a flight to Las Vegas at the time of his arrest. He remained in custody Thursday afternoon after being transferred to Queens central booking. He did not speak to a Fox 5 News crew as he was escorted into the building in handcuffs.

Sources say that Guerrero went to the Delta ticket counter in Terminal 2 and declared the gun to the ticket agent. It was in a gun box. As required by law, the agent called the Port Authority Police.

Sources say that Guerrero's gun is legally registered in the state of California but he is not licensed to carry the weapon in New York. The gun was not loaded at the time of his arrest.

Guerrero is charged with criminal possession of a weapon and three counts in connection with possessing the unloaded magazines.

Because of New York's tougher gun laws that were signed into effect by Gov. Cuomo on March 16, 2013, the possession charge was upgraded from a misdemeanor to a felony.

If convicted, he faces up to four years in prison.

"I hope that Mr. Guerrero fights better than he thinks," Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement. "For anyone who hasn't gotten the message, let me be crystal clear. You cannot bring an unlicensed weapon -- loaded or unloaded -- into this county or this city. And if you do, you will be arrested and face felony charges."

Guerrero is the former featherweight champion and current WBC welterweight champion.

Guerrero is scheduled to fight Floyd Mayweather on May 4, 2013 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas for Mayweather's WBC Welterweight title. He was in New York City to promote the fight.

Guerrero (31-1-1)  had previously given up a title to care for his wife, Casey, after she was diagnosed with leukemia. The couple talked about their cancer fight in a recent appearance on The 700 Club.

  • Queens NewsQueens NewsMore>>

  • Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Almost all NYC pre-K centers ready

    Friday, August 22 2014 7:48 PM EDT2014-08-22 23:48:37 GMT
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
    Nearly all 1,100 facilities providing services in the city's new universal pre-kindergarten program are ready to open on time after passing health and safety inspections. City officials said Friday they expect the eight remaining pre-K schools to remedy violations by Sept. 4's opening day. If they don't, affected children will be temporarily enrolled in other facilities.
  • U.S. Open preview

    U.S. Open preview

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:52 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:52:40 GMT
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
    Heading into the U.S. Open, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have won 36 of the past 38 Grand Slam titles, a stretch dating to the 2005 French Open. Nowadays, there seems to be a growing sense — or hope, maybe — among the best of the rest on the men's tennis tour that the quartet might be more vulnerable than ever.
  • 1990 arson-murder rap tossed, Queens man is set free

    1990 arson-murder rap tossed, Queens man is set free

    A former New York businessman whose arson-murder conviction was overturned in the death of his daughter was freed from prison Friday after 24 years behind bars, following a judge's ruling that the case against him had been based on now-debunked arson science.
    A former New York businessman whose arson-murder conviction was overturned in the death of his daughter was freed from prison Friday after 24 years behind bars, following a judge's ruling that the case against him had been based on now-debunked arson science.
Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices