Official: Scammer promised nonexistent Port Authority jobs - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Official: Scammer promised nonexistent Port Authority jobs

Posted: Updated:
NEW YORK (MYFOXNY) -

Jeffrey Claudio didn't want to talk with us at his Brooklyn apartment Tuesday night. But investigators say the 23-year-old has had plenty to say in the last year by convincing more than 10 people he could get them jobs with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey if they just paid him.

Assistant Inspector General Steven Pasichow said that Claudio told people he worked for the Port Authority and had family with the agency in a position to hire. But in reality he had no connection to the agency.

A criminal complaint filed by the Brooklyn District Attorney's Office details the complicated web of lies. It alleges that Claudio offered to sell Port Authority toll taker jobs for $600 to $700 He told people he needed the cash to buy their uniforms and do background checks.

Port Authority investigators became aware of Claudio's alleged scheme after one of the alleged victims showed up at the Holland Tunnel looking for job training. But there was no training because there was no job.

Detectives said that Claudio raked in nearly $8,000 and used the money to gamble.

Among the alleged victims are an ex-girlfriend he had met at a casino in the Poconos and another woman he had a relationship with. The smooth-talking suspect also duped many of the women's family members after being introduced to them at a barbecue last Fourth of July.

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    White flags raised at Brooklyn Bridge

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 9:22 PM EDT2014-07-23 01:22:00 GMT
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
    The NYPD is investigating a major security breach at the Brooklyn Bridge, one of the most highly secured landmarks in New York City. Two white flags — international symbols of surrender — fluttered from poles on the stone supports that hold cables above the bridge connecting Brooklyn and Manhattan. The flags had a faint appearance of the stars and stripes. The American flags that are normally up at the bridge appeared to have been removed.
  • Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Polluted Gowanus Canal doesn't scare away neighborhood development

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 8:57 AM EDT2014-07-22 12:57:02 GMT
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
    Every day, those who live and work in the Gowanus section of Brooklyn drive and bike and walk across their canal, growing a little more accustomed to but no less disgusted by its scent and appearance. Once the busiest canal in the United States, the Gowanus now bears the distinction as perhaps the most polluted body of water in the nation. No one knows exactly how polluted because few have summoned enough courage to dive into its murky depths to investigate.
  • reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    reBar wedding venue owner gets 10-year sentence

    Tuesday, July 22 2014 6:19 AM EDT2014-07-22 10:19:21 GMT
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
    The owner of a popular Brooklyn restaurant that closed abruptly and left dozen of couples without a wedding venue has been sentenced to up to 10 years in prison. Jason Stevens pleaded guilty last month to grand larceny and criminal tax fraud charges. He closed his restaurant, reBar, without warning in May.
Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices