New information on man accused of fatally shooting 2 relatives - | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

New information on man accused of fatally shooting 2 relatives

Posted: Updated:
FerDarius Shine FerDarius Shine

Ferdarius Shine allegedly shot and killed his own grandmother and aunt in cold blood before turning a 0.40 caliber handgun on his seven-year-old daughter and riding away on a bicycle.

"Over ten years I've been knowing him and never known him to have a mental condition.  So they need to do more backgrounds before they just release gun permits to anyone," said Evelyn Sherman, the child's grandmother.

A source close to the investigation confirmed Shine applied for his concealed carry permit in 2010.  It wasn't scheduled to be renewed until 2015.  Shine was allegedly off his meds.  It's the hospital's responsibility to notify the state of people suffering mental breaks, but police told me at this stage of the investigation it doesn't look like that happened.  That's why Shine's mental history wasn't a factor when police ran his name through their database for a rash of petty crimes he was arrested for in the past.

"If you feel like you can't take the stress of being a parent, take the child to the police station or give it to another relative," said Kelly Jones, the girl's mother.  "All this violence has to stop.  They [are] killing our generation.  Like this is our future."

Seven-year-old Amera Shine, who already suffers from a muscular disorder, has a long road to recovery.  Her elbow was shattered and the injuries to her intestines required immediate surgery.

"She's pulling through.  She's responding," Jones explained.  "She can't talk yet or open her eyes, but she can hear you.  She can nod her head, squeeze your hand.  She's doing really great."

"The last thing she said before they put her out was 'Granny, why did me daddy shoot me?'"

Police told me Shine lost his house and moved in with his grandmother.  He grew anxious when he became unable to pay for his daughter's medication.

Sources said he had not worked in more than six months.  A statement from the City of Detroit's Human Resources Department said, "Mr. Shine was a Vehicle Operator 1 with the Detroit Public Works Department.  His employment began in April 2008.  It ended in June 2012, when he resigned."

On February 15, police said Shine walked into his grandmother's home, mumbled something no one understood and then opened fire.  His aunt and grandmother were pronounced dead on the scene.

"I hate that he killed his grandmother and his aunt.  My sympathy goes out to his family, as well," Sherman said.

Powered by WorldNow

119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices