Accused getaway driver acquitted in death of Officer Figoski - MyFoxAustin.com | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Accused getaway driver acquitted in death of Officer Figoski

Posted: Updated:
Police Officer Peter Figoski Police Officer Peter Figoski

The man suspected of driving the getaway car in a botched robbery where a New York City police officer died has been cleared of all charges.

A jury acquitted Michael Velez of burglary and murder Wednesday in the death of Police Officer Peter Figoski, who was killed December 12, 2011, by a single shot to the head.

Prosecutors said Velez and four others plotted the robbery the night before, and were interrupted by officers.

Velez testified in his own defense and said he thought he was just giving the men a ride.

The verdict dumbfounded the police department as well as the union that represents uniformed officers.

"When juries fail to comprehend the monstrous scale of a police officer's murder, they fail society itself. God help us if other gunmen and their getaway drivers take comfort in these verdicts because when a police officer is murdered society at-large is struck a mortal blow," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said in a statement. "It's shameful that the family of Peter Figoski must be crushed again by another incomprehensible verdict."

The union echoed that sentiment.

"This jury did not exhibit an ounce of the courage that Peter Figoski showed time and time again during his life as a police officer. This is a devastating verdict for all police officers and for the Figoski family," PBA president Patrick Lynch said. "We are deeply disappointed that the jury completely disregarded the role that the defendant played in the death of a brave police officer. While Peter's tragic death brought our city together, today, this jury let the entire city down."

Gunman Lamont Pride was convicted of murder earlier this week but was acquitted of a more serious murder charge that he intentionally killed the officer. He faces 25 to life in prison when he is sentenced Feb. 28.

--AP/WNYW

  • Brooklyn NewsBrooklyn NewsMore>>

  • Lyft to start New York City service after deal with officials

    Lyft to start New York City service

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:06 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:06:49 GMT
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.
    The on-demand ride-sharing app Lyft says it is starting limited service in New York City after reaching agreement with state and city officials to resolve regulatory issues. New York's attorney general and Department of Financial Services say the company agreed to operate "in full compliance" with existing laws and regulations, and that it will start its city service Friday night with commercial drivers only.

  • The Big Idea

    Making New York City more energy efficient

    Making New York City more energy efficient

    Friday, July 25 2014 12:32 PM EDT2014-07-25 16:32:18 GMT
    More than half the population of New York City rides public transportation to work. No other metropolis in this country even approaches that percentage or the MTA's total number of riders. For that reason, New York likely ranks as the most energy-efficient city in the nation. But what would it take to make the city even more energy-efficient or even self-sufficient?
    More than half the population of New York City rides public transportation to work. No other metropolis in this country even approaches that percentage or the MTA's total number of riders. For that reason, New York likely ranks as the most energy-efficient city in the nation. But what would it take to make the city even more energy-efficient or even self-sufficient?
  • G subway line shutting down for 5 weeks

    G subway line shutting down for 5 weeks

    Friday, July 25 2014 9:02 AM EDT2014-07-25 13:02:01 GMT
    Beginning Friday night, a portion of the G subway line that connects Brooklyn and Queens will be shut down for five weeks.
    Beginning Friday night, a portion of the G subway line that connects Brooklyn and Queens will be shut down for five weeks.
Powered by WorldNow

KTBC FOX 7
119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Ad Choices