Looking through photos of Robin Sullins, here mom and brother say it's easy to see she's a positive person who's full of life, and someone who loves dogs. On Christmas Day, the 48-year-old was bitten on her finger and leg by a family member's dog. Two days later she went to the hospital after feeling extremely sick.
"By late Saturday night, early Sunday morning, she was pretty much on life support. We're talking respirator, dialysis, feeding tube, being kept alive." said her mom, Carole Wilson.
She adds that Robin's hands and feet had turned black and blue. Days later the decision was made to amputate her legs below the knees and nearly all her fingers.
"I'm picturing me and my sister growing up together, running around the woods and playing and now to realize that she's have her legs removed and her hands cut off. It was devastating to see that," said Robin's brother, Rick Pelton.
Doctors say Robin was experiencing a rare reaction to a bacteria from the dog's saliva.
"They knew there was this unusual bacteria in her bloodstream. The lab had trouble identifying it. They sent it to the state. The state had identified it as capnocytophaga species," said Dr. Kristin Mondy, an infectious disease specialist with Seton.
While doctors say what happened in this case is extremely rare, they do believe that up to 1/3 of cats and dogs have that bacteria.
"It's pretty amazing she's keeping that attitude up in spite of all the things that have unluckily come to her, cause who thinks of getting a dog bite and then losing your limbs?" said Pelton.
Throughout this very difficult situation, Robin's family has rallied around her. They've created a web page and a Facebook page where friends and strangers can show their support and donate to Robin's medical expenses.