Crews work to restore gas service after house explosion - | KTBC Fox 7 | News, Weather, Sports

Crews work to restore gas service after house explosion

Posted: Updated:

Hundreds of people spent the night without gas in Manor. Thursday Texas Community Propane had to shut off gas to 700 homes after a gas explosion.

The gas explosion happened around 2 p.m. Thursday at a home located in the Briarcreek Neighborhood. Fire damage can be seen on the side of the house where the gas line is located.

FOX 7 spoke with the homeowner, Deabba Pichon. She says we were given the wrong information. Pichon says she smelled gas Thursday morning and called the gas company.

"The smell was coming in the house, so they told me to leave fast. So we left and when I got the call the house was on fire," Pichon said.

Neighbors say they heard an explosion so loud, it shook their homes.

"I'm homeless, with nowhere to go. Would nobody expect it. It's crazy," she said.

The single mom says she was not digging around the gas line as firefighters first reported. She says the only people who were fooling with the gas line, were employees of Texas Community Propane. She says her dad was standing with them when the explosion happened.

"The supervisor was telling them through the walkie talkie don't hit nothing don't cause any eruption and a fire. Right after he said that he sparked it and it went on fire," she said.

Two workers sustained first and second degree burns from the explosion.

Around 4 p.m. yesterday Texas Community Propane shut off the gas to all of the residents out here to make repairs. Twenty-four hours later hundreds of residents were still without gas service. At one point there were 700 homes without gas, by 5 p.m. 200 homes were left.

FOX 7 saw gas workers out Friday going house to house to re-set the meters on each home. They have been working around the clock.

We checked in with Canales today. They haven't had gas since the explosion. We asked him and another resident to describe what last night was like.

"Cold. It was 30-40 something degrees last night. It's really frustrating, especially with the showers. Warm water isn't on," Canales said.

"Cold. My son had to take a cold shower this morning before he went to work, but that's about it. The baby's been alright and everything," Robin Castillo, a neighbor said.

Texas Community Propane is telling all residents to leave their porch lights on. That indicates that particular home needs their gas back on.

One reason why people don't have their gas on is because someone over 18 has to be home. For those who work, that's not possible.

Powered by WorldNow

119 East 10th Street
Austin, TX 78701

Phone: (512) 476-7777
Fax: (512) 495-7001

Didn't find what you were looking for?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Fox Television Stations, Inc. and Worldnow. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | New Terms of Service What's new | Ad Choices