A car repair business in the east valley was destroyed after it went up in flames.
Fire gutted the Meineke Car Care Center, located near Dobson and Broadway. The roof collapsed, and cars that were inside are a total loss.
Firefighters from three agencies responded, and as of 10 p.m. Monday night, some crews had remained on the scene to mop up hot spots.
It's not clear how the fire started, but we do know that it started in one of the repair bays. The chemicals stored inside the shop fueled the flames.
"We don't have any indications where it started, but we're dealing of course with an auto repair shop," said Captain Forest Smith of the Mesa Fire Department. "There are a multitude of things that may have been happening. There is a sense that the fire may have been smoldering for some time, especially concerning the fact that when crews got there..there was a great deal of smoke."
The shop was closed, so no one was inside when the fire broke out.