Shalene McNeil, from the Texas Beef Council, joined us in the kitchen Wednesday morning to explain to us how beef can be beneficial to our health, and show us how to prepare a heart-healthy recipe using beef.
Recipe: Beef, Mango and Barley Salad
- 1 beef trip-tip roast (1.5 - 2 pounds)
- 2 medium red bell peppers, in 1-1/2
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium mangoes, cut in 1/2
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 large Boston lettuce leaves (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place bell peppers on metal baking sheet; spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Press 1 teaspoon paprika evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425 degree oven for 30 - 40 minutes for medium rare; 40 - 45 minutes for medium doneness.
- Roast bell peppers in oven with beef for about 30 minutes or until tender.
- Set peppers aside to cool.
- Remove roast when instant-read thermometer registers 135 degrees for medium rare; 150 degrees for medium.
- Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes (Temperature will continue to rise about 10 degrees to reach 145 degrees for medium rare; 160 degrees for medium).
- Meanwhile, cook barley according to package directions. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Cut beef into 1/2" pieces; season with salt and black pepper.
- Whisk lime juice, oil and 1/2 teaspoon paprika in small bowl until blended. Toss with beef, barley, roasted peppers, mangoes, green onions and cilantro in large bowl. Serve in Boston lettuce leaves, if desired.